MRF-140CG Magneto-Rheological Fluid
LORD MRF-140CG fluid is a hydrocarbon-based magneto-rheological (MR) fluid formulated for general use in controllable, energy-dissipating applications such as shocks, dampers and brakes.
MRF-140CG fluid is a suspension of micron-sized, magnetizable particles in a carrier fluid. When exposed to a magnetic field, the rheology of MRF-140CG fluid reversibly and instantaneously changes from a free-flowing liquid to a semi-solid with controllable yield strength. Altering the strength of the applied magnetic field precisely and proportionally controls the consistency or yield strength of the fluid.
MRF-140CG fluid can be used in valve mode (fluid flowing through an orifice) or in shear mode (fluid shearing between two surfaces). In the absence of a magnetic field, MRF-140CG fluid flows freely or allows free movement. Upon application of a magnetic fi eld, the fluid’s particles align with the direction of the field in chain-like fashion, thereby restricting the fluid’s movement within the gap in proportion to the strength of the magnetic field.
Features and Benefits
• Fast Response Time – responds instantly and reversibly to changes in a magnetic field.
• Dynamic Yield Strength – provides high yield strength in the presence of a magnetic field and very low yield strength in the absence of a magnetic field; allows for a wide range of controllability.
• Temperature Resistant – performs consistently throughout a broad temperature range, meeting the requirements of demanding applications such as automotive shock absorbers.
• Hard Settling Resistant – provides high resistance to hard settling; easily redispersed.
• Non-Abrasive – formulated to not abrade the devices in which the MR fluid is used.