Using noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) materials in vehicle repair is about more than just noise reduction and customer comfort. They also provide excellent corrosion protection.
New technologies in sound dampening allow some materials to be applied directly to bare metal – i.e. direct-to-metal (DTM). DTM applications include floor plans, strut towers, core supports, trunk area, inner wheel wells, aprons and door hem-flanges. This means the body shop doesn’t have to purchase substrate primer and the repairer doesn’t have to spend time applying it. This improves cycle time and reduces costs.
Spray application of seam sealer can be applied as a surface coating to large areas of a vehicle as a durable treatment to provide customers with a robust solution. Use of DTM technology resists stone impingement, causing surface corrosion and also provides a sound deadening solution. It's a “win-win” for both the customer and the autobody shop.
Although some repair facilities still shy away from using DTM (and some may never accept it as a solution), this sound dampening technology is continuing to grow. Products have been tested and approved for performance, giving shops confidence and making them more comfortable in using DTM when applying sound dampening materials.
Learn more about noise, vibration and harshness direct-to-metal solutions.
Six advantages and applications of the direct-to-metal (DTM) process:
- Elimination of substrate primer: This improves cycle time and reduces costs.
- High performance: Provides excellent adhesion to bare or primed surfaces.
- Easy to finish: Can be tooled, wiped clean, sanded and/or painted immediately.
- Excellent corrosion protection: Meets J2334 cyclical corrosion for the vehicle lifetime.
- Versatile: Bonds to epoxy or urethane-primed surfaces. Can use one-component (direct-to-metal or HD) two-component sealers (example: Fusor 019 bare metal brushable acrylic seam sealer), and it encapsulates the weld with minimal burn back.
- Appearance: Easily duplicates factory appearance and provides a flexible seal without shrinkage, cracking or sagging.